Gluten-Free Zucchini and Carrot Fritters Inspired By Grandma’s Jewish Cuisine Made Entirely From Plants
My grandma Sissy’s potato latkes and fine Jewish fare served in her home served as the inspiration for my zucchini and carrot fritters recipe. The flavors of Grandma’s Jewish cuisine are transformed into these gluten-free alkalizing zucchini and carrot fritters! Instead of using potatoes, dairy, eggs, or flour, I substituted grated veggies paired with our gluten-free oat flour and spices to make my version of latkes, which nonetheless has the same crisp texture as shredded potatoes. These fritters paired with vegan sour cream and apple sauce were fantastic! You can naturally consume important minerals and vitamins from plants with these tasty fritters. A study found in the National Library of Medicine, suggests that alkaline foods can increase the levels of minerals and vitamins in the blood as they may release components including calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Also, the darker the pigments in food, the healthier they are. So when you are shopping around for fresh produce, pay attention to the opacity of the skin of the fruit or vegetable. According to Online Bachelor Degrees, potassium helps to encourage the blood flow in the “brain and folate, therefore reducing brain aging, which is particularly endorsed by nutritionists as a powerful nutrient against cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s (1)”. The alkalizing effects are known to lower chronic pain and inflammation as well as promote overall health and wellness. If there’s anything better than cooking with your loved ones, it’s making fine food that can be passed on from generation to generation and shared with the ones you love!
Healthy Tip: In addition to being a superfood, oat flour contains plant-based protein and is extremely high in fiber, both insoluble and soluble, which will help to fuel you, and keep you fuller for longer.
2 large zucchinis
2 large carrots
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
(Gluten-Free Oat Flour Mixture + Spices)
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds + 4 tablespoons water (egg replacer)
1 teaspoon Cyanne pepper (optional)
1.5 cups gluten-free oat flour
Season with cracked pepper and Hymialaian or Kosher salt for taste!
Tofutti Better than Sour Cream
North Coast Organic Apple Sauce
1. First, wash and pat dry produce. Set aside.
2. Using a small mixing bowl, add gluten-free oat flour and spices together and mix well.
3. Cut off the ends of the zucchini and carrots, and rub the ends against the shredder side of a box grater to make a pile of shreds that’s perfectly sized for forming into small pancakes. You can also use the shredder blade in a food processor to quickly shred the vegetables.
4. When you have finished shredding the veggies, transfer the mixture to a paper towel and gently squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Mix veggies together evenly in a mixing bowl, and add Extra Virgin Olive Oil while lathering them in your hands.
5. Meanwhile, using a medium non-stick skillet turn the burner on medium-low heat. Add cooking oil, if you prefer.
6. Pick up a small amount of shredded veggie mixture and flatten it into the palm of your hand, making 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick patties, and place each side of the patties into the gluten-free flour mixture. Press the oat flour mixture into the patties.
7. Next, place each pattie into the skillet and cook until browned and then flip and cook on another side.
8. Serve with vegan sour cream and apple sauce.
9. Bon’ Appetit!
What do latkes symbolize in Hebrew? Fried food, such as latkes are traditionally eaten on Hanukkah in commemoration of the oil that miraculously burned for eight days when the Maccabees purified and rededicated the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.
(1) N.A. (2022). The 19 Superfoods That Boost a Student’s Brain Power. Online Bachelor Degrees. Web.
Tobey, J A. (2022). The Question of Acid and Alkali Forming Foods. American Journal of Public Health and the Nation’s Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine. Web.
Thank you for reading our blog, you can thank us by buying us a smoothie!
If you find our blog useful, kindly share it with your friends.