Vegan Vegetable Broth Recipe
Make a savory vegan vegetable broth in about 45 minutes or less by using basic ingredients. Instead of buying already made boxed broth, which most likely contains additives to maintain its shelf life, try this easy recipe and learn the basics of making your own vegan vegetable stock from scratch. Broth is what makes the savory flavors stand out in most soup recipes. The trick is using vegetables that you would otherwise throw out or that may be wilting as long as they are not showing signs of discoloration. Using leafy greens such as thyme, parsley, bay leafs and other herbs to extract their flavors and their juices is key. In the process of extracting certain flavors from all the vegetables are mostly important for getting the acquired taste for your broth. A few necessary ingredients to get you started on making a hearty broth by scratch is using water, onion or leeks, carrots, and celery.
Healthy Tip: Buy produce locally or use organic to obtain only the freshest taste.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove (minced)
2-3 carrots chopped
2-3 celery stalks chopped
1 white or yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
4-6 cups of water or purified water
A few springs of thyme or parsley by choice
Season with Himalayan or kosher salt and pepper to taste!
- Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium add the minced garlic, carrots, celery and onion along with any herbs.
- Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until softened.
- Next add water and any other vegetables by choice cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable stock to a mesh strainer, strain into a large heat proof bowl.
- Since you have extracted all the juices and flavors you can enjoy the vegan vegetable broth by itself or make a soup with the hearty broth.