Jaclyn’s Savory Stuffed Bell Peppers
Make your mouth water with the intensity of each bite of Jaclyn’s savory stuffed bell peppers. This dish will spice up things nicely, by adding a touch of wholesome goodness! Bell peppers have a significant amount of antioxidants, which are known to protect against free radical damage. Green bell peppers also contain zeaxanthin, which keeps your eyes healthy and might reduce your risk of age-related eye disorders.
2 bell peppers (washed, cut thin slice from stem end, and de-seed)
1 small white onion (diced)
8 oz Portobello mushrooms (chopped into pieces)
15 oz sprouted tofu (diced)
1 cup black heirloom rice (cooked)
1 cup stewed Roma tomatoes (4 tomatoes)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- First pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is warming, wash and prep vegetables.
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper. De-seed and rinse peppers.
- Next, heat oil on medium heat in medium size skillet. Cook onion first until slightly translucent in color.
- Add tofu and cook for about 5-10 minutes until slightly golden. Stir in Portobello mushrooms and cooked rice to the mixture and continue to cook until hot.
- In a small sauce pan cook tomatoes on medium and stir occasionally until tender.
- Using a 8 x 10 pyrex square baking dish, stand peppers upright in lightly greased baking dish.
- Transfer the mixture from skillet and stuff the inside of the bell peppers to the top.
- Next, add stewed tomatoes over the top of the peppers.
- Bake 15 minutes covered. Uncover and bake 10 minutes until peppers are tender. Garnish with jalapeno.
- Be careful transferring the cooked bell peppers out of the baking dish, they are slippery from perspiration.
- Enjoy right away!