Savory Stuffed Delicata Squash
This is one of my favorite dishes, as it will tantalize your taste buds. Not only is it healthy, being that it’s low in sugar and carbohydrates, it’s a great choice for those who are watching their calorie intake. It contains great source’s of vitamin A and C, which is great for overall immunity and it’s packed with fiber as well. Take your meal planning to the next level and try this dish with your favorite herbs or spices for enhancing its natural flavors.
Healthy Tip: Add chopped nuts as a topping by choice. First chop up into small pieces and add into a skillet; heat over medium heat for 2-4 minutes until they release their flavors and natural aroma’s.
2 delicata squash (washed, halved, and de-seeded)
2-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion (diced into small pieces)
1 cup sprouted organic brown rice (cooked)
8 oz sprouted tofu (washed and cubed)
1/2 cup zucchini (chopped into fine pieces)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
1 small bell peppers (diced into small pieces)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
A hand full of fresh basil (chopped into fine pieces for garnish)
- First preheat oven to 425°F. Wash and cut squash into halves and de-seed using a spoon.
- Lather the sliced sides of the squash with 2 teaspoons oil.
- Place the squash face down on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges turn slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, bring rice and water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, cover for 25-30 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Next, heat the remaining teaspoons oil in medium skillet on medium heat. Add onion and saute’ until it turns translucent in color. Add sprouted tofu, zucchini, tomatoes, and spices; cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice.
- Spoon mixture into the squash halves.
- Serve while its hot. Add fresh basil, bell peppers and/or nuts by choice.