Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Italian-inspired salsa with brilliant flavors that pack some extra heat. This roasted tomatillo salsa verde recipe contains jalapeno peppers, which carry capsaicin. Capsaicin properties are known to help boost digestion and immune system functions, preventing colds, flu, and disease. Capsaicin is also known to be useful in fighting cancerous symptoms related to stomach and colon cancer. Try this simply refreshing salsa recipe and pair it with gluten-free chips, used as a topping, in wraps, dips, or substituted for a healthier staple condiment!
Healthy Tip: Buy fresh organic produce to get the ultimate flavors.
1 pound tomatoes, (husked & baked)
1/2 white onion (diced)
1 jalapeno pepper (chopped finely into small pieces)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped finely into small pieces)
2 lemons (juices)
Season with Himalayan or kosher salt and pepper to taste!
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add tomatillos to baking sheet and place in oven for about 5-8 minutes till they soften and have dark brown spotting. Then flip over tomatillos and bake other side.
- Meanwhile, peel the outer layer of the onion off and dice into smaller pieces.
- Then, cut and remove the seeds with a spoon from the (Jalapeno pepper) if you would prefer less spicy. After the pepper is de-seeded chop finely into small pieces.
- Remove the stems off the cilantro, and chop the rest of the cilantro finely into small pieces.
- Toss all the ingredients, including baked tomatoes into a food processor or blender.
- Next, squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice.
- Turn setting on chop and till everything is evenly blended together.
- Season with Himalayan or kosher salt and pepper to taste!
Caution: When handling the peppers (Jalapeno or Serrano) be careful of direct contact, as it they carry capsaicin, which is a chemical compound that is highly concentrated and can cause burning or a hot sensation to your skin. Gloves are recommended. Once you have been in contact with peppers, do not touch your lips, eyes, face, or other body parts. The extra heat that the capsaicin give off comes from its natural oils found in the peppers and can be diluted by washing the peppers.
Thank you for reading our blog, you can thank us by buying us a smoothie!
If you find our blog useful, kindly share it with your friends.