Coconut Masala Curry Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free)
I love this sweet and tangy indian cuisine. This coconut masala (spice) soup contains vibrant aromas. The mixture of herbs and spices have a warming effect for those who like a little bit of heat. I think this is an extraordinary recipe that will excite your palate.
Healthy Tip: Buy organic or shop at a local farmers markets to get the best quality ingredients. Using fresh herbs over dried herbs are better for bringing out the refreshing aroma and flavors.
Fresh Herbs: Cilantro, rosemary, parsley, tarragon, thyme, mint, sage, or thai Basil.
Garnishes: Coconut flakes, orange (orange peel), apricot (dried apricots), cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg.
1 large white onion (peeled and diced into small pieces)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup scallions (garnish)
8 tomatoes (roasted)
4 cups chickpeas (roasted)
Cold pressed organic coconut oil (cooking oil)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
14 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 large lemon (juiced)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (garnish)
14 oz full cream condensed coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth
Season with Himalayan or kosher salt and pepper to taste!
- In a large sauce pan mix the onions, ginger, and scallions with 2 tablespoons of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. Turn to medium heat and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Next add in the roasted tomatoes and spices and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Toss in 2 cups of roasted chickpeas and keep on low heat. Set aside the remaining 2 cups of roasted chickpeas.
- Add 14 oz of full cream condensed coconut milk and 1 cup veggie broth, turn burner on low to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice for freshness. Save the lemon peel to use as garnish.
- Combined the curry into a high speed blender or food processor.
- Transfer into large sauce pan and add the rest of the roasted chickpeas. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Can garnish with herbs and fresh lemon peel by using a shredder to shred peel into small pieces. Season with Himalayan or kosher salt and pepper to taste!
- Enjoy! Can store up to four days in the fridge if needed.