Sweet Potato Delicata Squash Bean Wraps
This is a sensational dish, with highly nutritious orange colored sweet potatoes that are excessively rich in beta-carotene (vitamin A) and phytonutrients. The collard greens are a great alternative to use as a natural gluten-free wrap. The rest of the ingredients are delightfully, sweet, and refreshing to your palate. I love to pair this sweet potato delicata squash bean wrap with my homemade raw salsa and hummus spread.
Healthy Tip: Buy organic or shop at a local farmers markets to get the best quality ingredients. Using fresh herbs over dried herbs are better for bringing out the refreshing aroma and flavors.
1-2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil (cooking oil)
1 medium sweet potato (peeled, and diced into thin slices)
1 small delicata squash (washed, sliced and de-seeded)
2 fresh scallions (washed, diced)
15 oz black beans (raw, cooked, rinsed and drained)
15 oz chickpeas (raw, cooked, rinsed and drained)
4 leaves of red chard (washed, chopped)
A hand full of fresh parsley (washed, finely chopped)
A few collard greens (wraps)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- First, wash produce. Peel, and dice sweet potatoes into thin slices.
- Next, using a large skillet put 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil on medium heat.
- Wash and dice scallions and toss into the skillet. Cook for about two minutes and then add the sweet potato.
- Wash, slice and de-seed the delicata squash and add to skillet. Cover with a lid for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are slightly browned. After they have browned remove lid. (Using the lid in the beginning helps soften the potatoes)
- Add the cooked black beans and chickpeas to the mixture. Stir occasionally.
- Then, wash and chop 4 leaves of red chard and add to mixture. Add a hand full of washed, finely chopped parsley to the mixture and allow to sit on top and warm. Add dried oregano and turmeric. Mix before serving.
- Wash and cut the ends off the collard greens to use for a natural gluten-free wrap.
- Enjoy right away! Pair with homemade raw salsa and hummus spread. Click here for my home-made salsa and hummus recipes!
Fresh Herbs: Cilantro, Tarragon, Thyme, Mint or Sage.