Are You Over Exceeding Your Carbohydrate Threshold?
Scientist suggests that certain diet and food choices may contribute to arthritis, muscle pain, asthma, acne and problem skin. Approximately 70% of our immune cells start in our digestive tract. The food we digest can reflect through our skin. Our immune system can be easily triggered by bacteria in food, traces of a food allergen, lack of important hormones such as insulin, it can cause flare ups and inflammation.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates provide energy for the body, brain, and nervous system. An enzyme referred to as amylase, expedites the process of breaking down carbohydrates into glucose (blood sugar), which helps energize your entire body. When too many carbohydrates are eaten at once, it is hard on the body to be able to metabolize.
- Glycation: Exceeding carbohydrate tolerance leads to the process of Glycation, which consists of fat molecules and sugar binding together, without enzymatic regulation. High levels of sugar raise glycation end-products, or advanced glycation end-product (AGEs), a protein bound to a glucose molecule, resulting in damaged cross-linked proteins.
How Many Carbohydrates Should I Consume On A Daily Basis? Consuming 15-20 grams of carbohydrates can be easily tolerated at a snack or light meal. Start to look a food labels and pay attention to what your daily intake is. Carbohydrates encompass a broad range of sugars, starches, and fiber. When we metabolize carbohydrates they are broken down into sugar. Different type’s of carbohydrate rich foods can make a difference in coping with diabetes.
Food Choices & Diet
Vegan Carbohydrate Rich Foods:
- Whole Fruits.
- Unprocessed Starchy Vegetables: Winter squash. Sweet potatoes. Whole corn.
- Whole Grains: Oats. Buckwheat. Brown Rice, Pasta. Sprouted Bread’s.
Good Sources Of Vegetables: Try to increase the intake of cruciferous vegetables (Bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, horseradish, kale, kohlrabi, mustard leaves, radish, turnips, watercress, etc.) Many of the cruciferous vegetables produce sulfur in this vegetable family, as it helps detoxify the liver.
Good Sources Of Omega-3 Fats: Good sources of oils and fats support healthy brain function and lymphatic system. Consume flax seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds.
Good Sources Of Oil: While a diet rich in fats is directly related to a higher incidence of cancer, some types of fats can actually play a protective role against the development of these tumors. Such is the case of virgin olive oil which is rich in oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, and contains several bioactive compounds such as antioxidants.(1)
(1) “Olive Oil Health Benefits.” 05 June 2017. Olive Oil Times. N.p., 12 Apr. 2017. Web.
Auborn, Karen J., Mei Qi, Xiao J. Yan, Saul Teichberg, DaZhi Chen, Michael P. Madaio, and Nicholas Chiorazzi. “Lifespan Is Prolonged in Autoimmune-Prone (NZB/NZW) F1 Mice Fed a Diet Supplemented with Indole-3-Carbinol.” 05 June 2017. The Journal of Nutrition. N.p., n.d. Web.
Daniluk, Julie. “When Food Causes You Pain.” 05 June 2017. CNN. Cable News Network, 20 July 2012. Web.
Kate. (30 January 2018). “To Diet or Not To Diet: Losing Weight the Healthy Way.” Be Healthy Today, Web.
“Olive Oil Health Benefits.” 05 June 2017. Olive Oil Times. N.p., 12 Apr. 2017. Web.